Thursday, February 12, 2009

Girlfriends Tell the Truth

I saw the new movie, “He’s Just not Into You” last week. I went the day it opened. The reviews from New York were already saying it was terrible but I knew this was a cast of cool actresses no matter what the content was. The opening sequence nails it when a mom at the playground tells her little girl that the little boy who just hit her “really likes you. He’s being mean to you because he likes you.” This is followed by the scenes where woman tell their girlfriends, “Oh I’m sure he loves you” and “I’m sure he’ll call.” and “Of course he doesn’t think you’re a slut he thinks you’re sexy.”

Girlfriends, just say it: No. He doesn’t love you. No. He won’t call. And Yes. You are a slut.

I’m guilty of this too. I have said, “Give him time.” and “Men are different.” But maybe tough love is the kindest cut of all.

Make a pact with your girl friends to tell the truth. It’s always “Take what you like and leave the rest.” You know you can’t really change her mind or stop the train till it comes back to the station. But at least you may shorten her pain.

No comments: