Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Praying the Room or Take Your Higher Power to Work Day

Yesterday I was looking through my tickle file at work and came across this great piece of spiritual advice that is especially helpful at work. It is definitely a way to practice the principles in all of our affairs. 

I learned this a couple of years ago when I was pretty worried about an upcoming meeting and I was agonizing over what I needed to say, what others might say, and how it would all go. I knew that I wanted God to work through me and I was using the prayer that I use whenever I chair an AA meeting: “Please let me carry your message and not my ego.”

I mentioned this to a friend and she made this suggestion, which adds depth and practicality:

“Before the meeting go into the room where the meeting will be held and pray the room…Pray in the actual room so that you have invited God into the space where you’ll most need his guidance.”

It was amazing. I went down the hall to the empty conference room and sat for a few minutes. I prayed and invited God to be in that room with all of us and yes, to keep my ego out of it. Twenty minutes later I returned to the room for the meeting. It went well.  I said what I needed to say, not perfectly but I remembered it was no longer about me. And so I was fine.

I am so glad for this reminder. I can use this now for all kinds of meetings, and presentations and all the places that I need to be present and any place that I tend to tip toward fear or ego.

No comments: