Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve--When the Bells Ring

When I was growing up my mother observed a tradition about the bells on New Years Eve. She would say to us, “Where you are when the bells ring on New Years Eve is where you will be for the rest of the coming year."

As a kid that meant that our house was clean, that our schoolwork was done and our rooms were “red up” (meaning straighten in Pittsburgh-speak). Later it meant that who you were with or how you were emotionally was how the future year would unfold, so we watched funny movies and went out at midnight to toast the New Year with the neighbors.

I carried this idea all of my life and New Years Eve has taken on great significance. One year when I knew that the relationship I was in would end soon I made sure that I was locked in my room alone at the very strike of midnight. Another year when I was trying to make my commitment to writing I made sure that I was at my typewriter and typing words when the bells rang in that New Year.

This year I will go with Susan to bring a meeting to a treatment center and then home to Dave for a late supper and a movie at home. I don’t know what this year will bring but the most important thing is that I will be sober and grateful when the bells ring tonight.


What I want most of all in this coming year is a life of greater recovery. I am grateful to be out of the woods.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Diane, this is a lovely post...I think of your mother's story/plan every year on New Year's Eve. Can't believe it has been 14 years since our very fun millenium party!

mary care said...

I am sharing this testimony to partners suffering in their relationships because there is an enduring solution.
My husband left me and our 2 kids for another woman for 3 years. I tried to be strong just for my kids but I could not control the pains that torment my heart. I was hurt and confused. I needed a help, so i did a research on the internet and came across a site where I saw that Dr ajeghe a spell caster, can help get lovers back. I contacted him and he did a special prayer and spells for me. To my surprises, after 2 days, my husband came back home. That was how we reunited again and there was a lot of love, joy and peace in the family.You can as well contact Dr ajeahe , a powerful spell-caster for solutions on his contact ajeghespelltemple@gmail.com You can also . His Blog> https://ajeghespelltemple.blogspot.com