Sunday, January 09, 2011

Faith Flies

Anyone who gets on an airplane has faith. They may claim to not be a believer but they believe in something big-- much bigger than themselves. They believe in physics like I believe in God.

Last week I flew home from Cleveland late at night. Sitting by the window in a small plane I could feel how fast the plane was moving. We were hurtling through darkness. I knew that the pilot couldn’t see anything. Only the little switches on the control panel might have any meaning. Yet when I looked around inside the cabin the other passengers were sleeping, reading, playing on IPods and Kindles and calmly entertaining their babies.

There in the dark, where no one could see anything, we were moving into blank space hundreds of miles an hour and simply thinking, “Oh we’re on the plane.”

That is faith.

No comments: