Thursday, July 23, 2020

It's Opening Day: Baseball and Your Spiritual Life

The first thing I learned about baseball is this: If you raise your hand a man will bring you food. I learned this at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, and in my first year as a fan I spent most of the game facing the wrong way. Raise my hand, get ice cream, raise my hand, get popcorn, raise my hand, get peanuts.  

It was 1958. 

Two years later I understood baseball was a game.  On summer afternoons I’d beg my brothers to take me with them to the ball park. I was falling in love with baseball.

If baseball has taken hold of you too, you know it’s about more than your team winning.  Sports, like religion, and like AA, offers consolations: A diversion from our daily routine, heroic examples to admire and emulate and a sense of drama and conflict in which nobody dies. 

John Gregory Dunne wrote that, “Baseball is the couch on which we examine our psyches”. George Will said, “Baseball is the universe”. And catcher Wes Westrum said, “Baseball is like church, many attend but few understand.”

We have these sayings and many more because baseball is one of the greatest sources of metaphor in American life. And understanding metaphor is important because having and using metaphor is what allows us to talk about intangibles like spiritual life.

The historian, E.H. Gombrich, wrote, “Every culture has its favored sources of metaphor which facilitate communication among its members. Any cultures religion is what provides the central area of metaphor.  The Olympus or Heaven of any nation will offer language and symbols of power and compassion, of good and evil, of menace and of consolation”.

Americans live so far inside the institution of baseball and so deeply in its metaphors that sometimes we can’t even see it.  You may say you’re not a sports fan, but have you ever said: “She’s always in there pitching”. “You can’t even get to first base with him.” He’s out in left field.” “She was born with two strikes against her.”  We talk baseball all day long. 

Bart Giamatti, former President of Yale and former Commissioner of Baseball said, “Baseball has no clock and indeed moves counterclockwise, so anxious is it to establish its own rhythms independent of clock time.”

Baseball is one of the few sports that remain timeless. A game can be fast or slow. In this one area of our lives the clock isn’t driving; we surrender the clock to the event.  But there is something else in this game that asserts the primordial and the spiritual: In baseball we begin and end at home.  Home plate is not fourth base. The goal of the game is to get home and to be safe. 

That is what we want. When we come to AA people say, “I felt safe and I was at home for the first time”. Home implies safety, accessibility, freedom, comfort. Home is where we learn to be both with others and separate.  That’s what baseball players are: individual athletes with distinct areas of responsibility but also and always a team. Kind of like a home group.

219 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   201 – 219 of 219
anonymous said...

Am fost cu adevărat fericiți împreună și niciodată nu am crezut că voi fi părăsită și abandonată de logodnicul meu, până când s-a întâmplat cu adevărat. În timp ce eram fericiți împreună, i-am spus să dea șah-mat oricui este în jurul lui și nu vrea să fim împreună, iar el a făcut-o, răspunzându-mi că toți sunt fericiți. Percepția mea despre oamenii lui era diferită și, într-adevăr, așa cum am perceput, ei au mințit împotriva mea și au făcut tot ce au putut să ne despartă, iar el m-a părăsit. Nu i-am înșelat niciodată, dar ei i-au spus că mă văd pe altcineva și el m-a crezut. Eforturile mele nu au dat niciodată rezultate bune în a ne readuce la viață până când Dr. Isikolo m-a ajutat. A lucrat pentru mine, a rezolvat problemele și s-a asigurat, de asemenea, că primește informații despre cum sora lui îl manipula să mă uite. Mă bucur că l-am contactat pe Dr. Isikolo și acum ne vom căsători în curând și vom fi împreună pentru totdeauna. Contactați-l pe Dr. Isikolo la adresa de e-mail: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau trimiteți-i un mesaj pe WhatsApp la +234-8133261196.

Anonymous said...

Here is the wonderful thing Dr Reethesh did for me that saved my home. I was having serious trouble in my marriage, Things weren't going fine between me and my wife, we were always fighting ourselves for no good reason and this issue almost ended up killing ourselves during any fight we had. But thanks to Dr Reethesh for coming to our rescue. On this day after me and my wife had an argument she left the house. After she left I came back to my senses. It's just like something bad left my body. So I told myself that I need to look for a solution. That's how I went online and did some research so I came across good review testimonies about Dr Reethesh how he has been helping a lot of people in restoring their broken home. So I reached out to Dr Reethesh and explained myself to him, After he did everything he needed to do. He explained to me that the person behind me and my wife's troubles is my Ex-girlfriend. She wants my wife to leave me alone so she can take the place of my wife. I asked Dr Reethesh what the solution was and he told me what needed to be done. So I paid for all the items needed. When Dr Reethesh did his work the rest was history. Dr Reethesh was able to destroy the evil spell my Ex-girlfriend did to destroy my home and helped me to bring everything back to normal between me and my wife.  My wife and I apologized to ourselves and made peace with ourselves. Today me and my lovely wife are living happily together without any troubles. If you need Dr Reethesh help you can contact Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 Or Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Here is the wonderful thing Dr Reethesh did for me that saved my home. I was having serious trouble in my marriage, Things weren't going fine between me and my wife, we were always fighting ourselves for no good reason and this issue almost ended up killing ourselves during any fight we had. But thanks to Dr Reethesh for coming to our rescue. On this day after me and my wife had an argument she left the house. After she left I came back to my senses. It's just like something bad left my body. So I told myself that I need to look for a solution. That's how I went online and did some research so I came across good review testimonies about Dr Reethesh how he has been helping a lot of people in restoring their broken home. So I reached out to Dr Reethesh and explained myself to him, After he did everything he needed to do. He explained to me that the person behind me and my wife's troubles is my Ex-girlfriend. She wants my wife to leave me alone so she can take the place of my wife. I asked Dr Reethesh what the solution was and he told me what needed to be done. So I paid for all the items needed. When Dr Reethesh did his work the rest was history. Dr Reethesh was able to destroy the evil spell my Ex-girlfriend did to destroy my home and helped me to bring everything back to normal between me and my wife. My wife and I apologized to ourselves and made peace with ourselves. Today me and my lovely wife are living happily together without any troubles. If you need Dr Reethesh help you can contact Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 Or Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

anonymous said...

De peste un an, mă lupt să-mi repar căsnicia cu soțul meu. Am fost epuizată emoțional și etichetată drept infidelă pentru că soțul meu a primit informații greșite despre mine, cum că am înșelat-o, informații complet false. Ne-am certat mai multe, iar casa mea a devenit nesigură pentru creșterea copiilor mei, ceea ce m-a afectat foarte mult. Familia lui nu este complet de partea mea, iar asta a înrăutățit lucrurile. În acel moment, știam că am nevoie de ajutor pentru a-l face să se concentreze din nou asupra mea și asupra noastră. Mi-era teamă să nu-l pierd și a trebuit să-l contactez pe Dr. Isikolo. Acest bărbat mi-a arătat într-adevăr cât de posibil este ca vraja lui de dragoste să-i reunească pe parteneri și să vadă din nou uniunea dintre ei minunată. A lucrat pentru mine și a rezolvat problema pe care o aveam cu soțul meu și vă pot spune cu siguranță că sunt din nou o femeie fericită datorită Dr. Isikolo. Soțul meu este acum un partener și un tată mai bun pentru copiii mei și asta îmi bucură inima. Mulțumesc, Dr. Isikolo, și sper ca Dumnezeu să vă ajute să continuați să-i ajutați pe alții. Trimiteți-i un e-mail la adresa: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau trimiteți-i un mesaj prin WhatsApp la numărul +2348133261196

RICHDOTCOM said...

To join Illuminati is easy...Join the Illuminate cult online today where ever you are and get instant sum of 10,000,000,00 USD[dollars] with a free home any where you choose to live in the world and many other benefit as follows.we make your business grow faster and empower you...Joining the Illuminati brings you into the limelight of the world in which you live in today your financial difficulties are brought to an end your inseams lengthen we support you both financially and materially to ensure you live a comfortable life in comfortable slacks You can join from wherever you are,any part of the world[country] you are..from the UNITED STATE down to the most remotes part of the earth we bring you all you want, it dose not matter being Literate OR Illiterate Rich nor Poor anybody is advice to join If you are interested contact us now for all you seeks in life will comes to Reality. email us now:[clarkilluminati011@gmail.com]... /...or call +2348156703783 / whats-app
say bye bye to poverty by joining Illuminati i never believe not until i finally join but now i am rich..this man is real he made me what i am today and i am very proud of me begin a Illuminati member... if they, can make me rich make me become something in life why don't you join also for you to also be rich the money always flows through the members like an ocean that never runs dry it dose not matters if you have been scam before contact him for help to join :::: NOTE; that in this Great Brotherhood Of Illuminati No Bloodshed And No Humans Sacrifices is involved [We Don't Kill For Anything] OK... Do not miss this opportunity THANKS.

Unknown said...

My husband started acting weird and going out with other ladies and showed me cold love since the start of the year. On several occasions he threatened to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies. I was totally devastated and confused until an old friend of mine told me about Dr Ilekhojie who help people with relationship and marriage problem. At first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try and contacted him. He performed a reconciliation ritual to make our connection strong and ensure no one comes between us. Now, my husband has stopped going out with other ladies and his with me for good and for real. Contact Dr Ilekhojie for solutions to your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via: gethelp05@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348147400259

Unknown said...

Problemele pe care le aveau fiica mea și soțul ei în căsnicia lor erau mai mult decât pot explica. Se certau de fiecare dată și, dintr-o dată, problema a devenit o problemă de familie și nici nu-mi puteam da seama ce se întâmplă de fapt și încotro se îndrepta căsnicia. Tatăl ei și restul familiei au încercat să rezolve problemele, dar nimic nu a funcționat până când a trebuit să cer ajutorul în numele lor.
L-am contactat pe Dr. Lukas după ce am primit mai multe informații despre faptele sale bune. M-am plâns de toate acestea lui și m-a asigurat că voi rezolva problemele. Fără să știu că aveau prieteni care s-au întors în jurul lor și au făcut tot posibilul să se asigure că mariajul este ruinat și că fiica mea a divorțat.
Dr. Lukas m-a ajutat și a rezolvat problemele dintre fiica mea și soțul ei, reunindu-i pe amândoi. Am fost uimită când am văzut cum dragostea și afecțiunea lor au fost complet restaurate, devenind mai fericiți împreună, iar acum mă bucur că am făcut o mișcare pentru a ajuta situația.
Faptele sale bune sunt de neimaginat și, când rezultatele vor începe să se manifeste, veți vedea cât de puternică este puterea lui în rezolvarea problemelor conjugale și relaționale. Adresa sa de e-mail: okukutemple@gmail.com și, de asemenea, contactul său pe WhatsApp +44-7469341745

Unknown said...

Sincer, nu pot fi omisă în a le povesti și altora despre faptele bune ale Dr. Isikolo. Într-adevăr, sunt uimită de tot ce poate face și de tot ce a făcut pentru a-mi salva casa. Soțul meu m-a părăsit și a fost atât de sfâșietor să știu că nu eu am făcut tot posibilul să ne distrug uniunea, ci, mai degrabă, altcineva a jurat să-mi distrugă casa și aproape a reușit până când am primit ajutor. A fost o luptă grea știind că am făcut tot ce am putut, dar nu s-a mai întors la mine până când Dr. Isikolo nu a venit și a înrăutățit situația și mi-a salvat căsnicia. Vraja lui de împăcare a iubirii este într-adevăr foarte puternică. Ne-a împăcat pe mine și pe soțul meu și s-a asigurat, de asemenea, că femeia care voia să-mi distrugă casa a fost dezamăgită și copleșită. Îl am pe soțul meu înapoi alături, într-adevăr, tot ce trebuie să-i mulțumesc pentru asta este Dr. Isikolo. Am fost uimită când a lucrat pentru mine, iar rezultatele faptelor sale bune au început să se manifeste după 2 zile, așa cum a promis și m-a asigurat. A fost binecuvântat de Dumnezeu să continue să ajute oamenii și nu văd niciun motiv pentru care cineva s-ar îndoi de tot ce poate face, știind că nu dă niciodată greș. Adresa lui de e-mail: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau trimiteți-i un mesaj prin WhatsApp +2348133261196

Edwin said...

This testimony is shared as my personal belief and experience. In November 2022, my life changed beyond anything I could have imagined when I won the $2.04 billion Powerball lottery. Before this blessing, I was overwhelmed by financial struggles and emotional pain, and I had almost given up hope.During that dark time, I was introduced to Oniha Spells, a spell caster who encouraged me to stay faithful and believe that change was possible. After following the spiritual guidance given to me, I felt a deep sense of peace and certainty. When I later realized I had won the lottery, I was overcome with tears of joy and gratitude. This experience strengthened my belief in hope, faith, and positive energy.
Email: droniha16@gmail.com
CALL/Whatsapp number: +16692213962

chenge said...

I am not suppose to be doing for security purpose but my good heart cant allow me to keep silent about this good man that helped me win the jackpot. Great Priest Odibo is the powerful man behind my winnings of $1.326 billion in Oregon Powerball Jackpot. Stop wasting money on guessing tickets and contact him via templeofpermanenthealings@gmail.com or WhatsApp through +2348163083041

CLARA ROBERTS said...

I still wake up sometimes wondering if this is actually real. Winning $5 MILLION in the Powerball drawing is something I never imagined would happen to me after years of playing and facing disappointment. For years, I kept hoping that my circumstances would change. Then I connected with Dr. Oniha, whose spiritual guidance and encouraging words gave me renewed hope and confidence during a difficult time in my life. Then came the moment I’ll never forget I discovered that my Powerball ticket had won $5 MILLION! I was completely speechless, emotional, and in total shock. I checked the numbers over and over because I simply couldn’t believe it. From my personal perspective, Dr. Oniha’s spiritual work and the winning numbers he gave to me became a meaningful part of my journey, and I’m incredibly grateful for the encouragement and his spell work that I received. I’m sharing my story because I know others may also be searching for hope or a positive change. If you’re interested in Dr. Oniha’s spiritual services, you can contact him directly to learn more about his work and discuss your own situation.
Email: droniha16@gmail.com
Call/Whatsapp +1 (669) 221-3962

anonymous said...

Ca femeie și mamă căsătorită de peste trei decenii, tot ce am crezut vreodată a fost să mă asigur că dragostea și fericirea sunt menținute vii în casa mea. De fiecare dată când apar dificultăți în căsnicia mea, am fost mereu prezentă și concentrată pe rezolvarea lor și restabilirea păcii. Dar în cazul căsătoriei fiicei mele cu soțul ei, nu am putut face prea multe, chiar și cu sprijinul soțului meu, până când a intervenit Dr. Isikolo. Căsătoria a durat abia 2 ani, iar sfârșitul era mai aproape, știind că pacea și fericirea lipseau din casa lor. Atât ea, cât și soțul ei au fost reticenți în a se asigura că problemele sunt rezolvate. Acest lucru a devenit o povară uriașă pentru mine și nu cred în divorț sau în a avea un cămin destrămat. A trebuit să mă asigur că am cerut ajutorul Dr. Isikolo, care într-adevăr nu m-a dezamăgit, știind că situația mă depășea. Cu ajutorul vrăjii sale de reuniune a iubirii, a reușit să-i împace pe amândoi și, de asemenea, să se asigure că dragostea și fericirea sunt restabilite în casa lor și că mariajul lor este protejat de prada malefică din jurul fiicei mele și al soțului ei. Tot ce s-a întâmplat a fost mai mult decât o simplă neînțelegere și asta pentru că dușmanii lor apropiați erau hotărâți să le distrugă sindicatul. Mulțumesc, Dr. Isikolo, pentru ajutor și pentru că nu m-a dezamăgit pe mine și familia mea. Vă rugăm să-i trimiteți un e-mail la adresa isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau să-l contactați pe WhatsApp la +2348133261196.

Unknown said...

Cu experiența mea de lucru cu Dr. Isikolo, am ajuns la concluzia că există oameni foarte buni și onești care pot face tot posibilul pentru a rezolva orice problemă ai avea, chiar și atunci când nu le cunoști vizibil sau nu le vezi în persoană. Mi-am pierdut căsnicia pentru că nu am putut înțelege pe deplin ce înseamnă să conduci o femeie corect și să accept faptul că sunt bazate pe un mod pe care noi, bărbații, nu-l putem înțelege niciodată. A trebuit să cer ajutorul Dr. Isikolo știind că soția mea este o femeie bună pe care nu o pot despărți altcuiva. A fost o situație dificilă pentru mine și mi s-au dezvăluit prea multe lucruri în timp ce mă ajuta să rezolv problemele, iar efectul l-am văzut după doar 48 de ore, deoarece m-a asigurat că soția mea s-a întors acasă. Dr. Isikolo este cea mai bună opțiune pe care o poți alege pentru a restabili dragostea și conexiunea dintre tine și partenerul tău și pentru a-i aduce înapoi în viața voastră și a fi fericiți împreună pentru totdeauna. Îl poți suna/trimite un mesaj prin WhatsApp +234-8133261196 sau îi poți trimite un e-mail la adresa: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com

Charlene Amanda said...

I’m incredibly grateful to Dr. Benjamin for the guidance and encouragement he gave me during my lottery journey. I reached out to him after hearing about his work, explained my hopes of winning the Mega Millions jackpot, and decided to give it a try. He shared a set of numbers with me and encouraged me to remain positive and hopeful. I purchased my ticket using those numbers, and I was completely shocked when they matched the winning numbers. I won the Mega Millions jackpot of $50 million! It was an unforgettable moment that changed my life. I’ll always appreciate Dr. Benjamin’s support. He can help you too drbenjaminlottospell711@gmail.com or whatsapp him +18588585788

anonymous said...

Dragostea și fericirea pe care le împărtășeam cândva cu soția mea au dispărut, iar noi am pornit pe drumuri separate chiar în timp ce procesul de divorț era în desfășurare. Certurile constante, neînțelegerile și drama continuă erau atât de intense, încât a trebuit să caut liniștea separându-mă de ea. Știam că situația nu era firească, deoarece ea nu fusese niciodată un obstacol în calea fericirii mele atunci când ne-am cunoscut și am început relația. Întreaga mea viață devenise un haos total și nu voiam să o pierd. Știam că trebuie să caut ajutor pentru a rezolva problemele dintre noi, așa că l-am contactat pe Dr. Isikolo. El m-a sfătuit să nu-mi fac griji și să păstrez o atitudine pozitivă, explicându-mi că exista un obstacol care împiedica bunul mers al căsniciei noastre. Spiritele strămoșilor săi mi-au dezvăluit tot ce se întâmpla în casa mea – lucruri care nu erau naturale, întrucât un dușman apropiat jurase să-mi distrugă familia și să-mi ruineze viața. Am urmat cu strictețe sfaturile Dr. Isikolo, care mi-a devenit un adevărat sprijin; el și-a respectat promisiunea, a rezolvat problemele dintre mine și soția mea, iar ea s-a întors acasă. Am fost uimit când totul s-a rezolvat cu bine, iar dragostea și afecțiunea dintre noi au fost restabilite; de ​​asemenea, am fost sfătuit să nu țin anumite persoane prea aproape de mine, deoarece dușmanul nu era departe. Nu îi pot mulțumi îndeajuns Dr. Isikolo; știu acum că tot ce se spune despre el este absolut adevărat – este un om bun, care nu dezamăgește niciodată pe nimeni atunci când vine vorba de rezolvarea problemelor. Îl puteți contacta prin e-mail la: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau prin mesaj WhatsApp la numărul +234-8133261196.

Danette Bandy said...

Why keep making humans suffer greatly just to get profits annually for medications that don’t work. I’m glad that herbal remedies are gaining so much awareness and many people are getting off medications and activating their entire body system with natural herbal remedies and they have become holistically healed totally, I got healed from cervical cancer caused by HPV using herbs remedies from herbalist healer Dr. Onokun..... You can reach out via Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or Onokunherbs.com

West Valary said...

Wow! This has been a great blessing in my life. Knowing Dr. Odumeje has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me. My lover came back to me after I reached out to him for help. He helped remove the negative influence of a third party that was affecting our relationship. Today, my husband loves me again, and our relationship has been restored. I am truly grateful for the support and guidance I received during this difficult time. Thank you, Dr. Odumeje, for helping bring happiness back into my life. I highly recommend reaching out to him to see if his guidance can help you as well. TEXT/WhatsApp +2349064108102 OR VIA oduemejetemple@gmail.com

HE ALSO WORK ON A LOT OF FOLLOWING CASES

Spell to get famous
Spells to grow business excessively
Spells to get a Job
Spells to get a husband
Spells to Win Court Case
Spells to get your loved ones out of prison
promotion spells
Protection Spells
Spells to win Lottery Pregnancy Spells

Unknown said...

Pentru tine, cel care citești acest mesaj: Dr. Isikolo este extrem de capabil și transparent în a-i ajuta pe toți cei care apelează la el. Când soția mea a plecat împreună cu fiul nostru, nu am reușit să o conving să se întoarcă acasă, deoarece nu îmi dădeam seama că situația era mult mai complexă decât părea la suprafață. Au trecut luni de zile în care am tot încercat diverse soluții, până când am luat legătura cu Dr. Isikolo; el a rezolvat problema și a restabilit dragostea și legătura dintre noi. Fără ca eu să știu, un bărbat îi făcea soției mele farmece, manipulând-o să divorțeze de mine și să mă uite definitiv. O iubeam prea mult ca să permit cuiva să-i distrugă viața. Mă bucur că am apelat la Dr. Isikolo, care a oferit servicii excelente; acum, soția mea și cu mine suntem fericiți împreună și mă rog ca această fericire să dureze veșnic. Nu ezita să-l contactezi prin e-mail la: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com sau prin mesaj WhatsApp la numărul +234-8133261196.

Unknown said...

Soțul meu, alături de care mi-am construit viața timp de 23 de ani, ne-a părăsit pe mine și pe copii fără să spună un cuvânt. Lumea mi s-a prăbușit; am apelat la cei dragi, dar nimeni nu m-a putut ajuta. Apoi a depus actele de divorț, deși nu avuseserăm probleme și nici nu ne certaserăm vreodată din cauza vreunui lucru grav. Dr. Isikolo mi-a sărit în ajutor și a rezolvat problema pe care o aveam cu soțul meu. Ne-a reunit, iar el s-a întors acasă la noi. Viața este într-adevăr plină de mistere și nu m-aș fi gândit vreodată că voi trece prin așa ceva, dar îi sunt recunoscătoare Dr.-ului Isikolo; el m-a ajutat și mi-a garantat rezultate pozitive în 48 de ore – lucru care s-a și întâmplat, exact așa cum a promis. Te poate ajuta și pe tine să-ți rezolvi problemele dacă îl contactezi acum. Trimite-i un mesaj pe WhatsApp la +2348133261196 sau un e-mail la: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com.

«Oldest ‹Older   201 – 219 of 219   Newer› Newest»