Friday, September 05, 2014

How to Live Without Fear?

If you ask someone in early recovery how to handle your fear they are likely to tell you that  "Faith and Fear cannot coexist." or they will say, "If you feel fear then you need to do more service." But if you tell someone with long recovery that you are feeling fear they are much more likely to say,

"Oh, I hate that feeling!"

In later recovery we do know that faith and fear frequently coexist, and that while we should pray and help  newcomers, and be of service those are distractions from--not remedies for--fear.

But a long-timer will get you laughing and that is the best medicine after all.

It turns out that the best advice is that simplistic bumper-sticker slogan, which was also the title of a simple and simply fabulous book, "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway." Some of us, whether because of our thinking or our biochemistry, will feel more fear than the average bear. And no matter how much therapy, meds or esoteric practices we throw at it--we'll still feel more fear than the average bear.

And speaking of bears, this week I bought a print by artist Jessica C. White, and the title is "Information Desk." I knew I had to own this and keep it near my desk. Here it is. Take a look:

Isn't that swell? It makes me smile--at all of my fears.

No comments: