Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Spiritual Angle

I’m working with a sponsee on Steps two and Three and reading what I ask her to read. I find myself also seeking out other spiritual materials and having one of those times when everything converges.

I hear sometimes people mention the spiritual PART of the program. I have certainly approached recovery in parts: physical: not drinking, not binge eating etc. Then the Emotional or psychological: therapy, self-help, self-examination, working, as we say, on my ISSUES. And then, the spiritual: prayer and meditation, church shopping, classes in yoga and meditation, attending talks and lectures and various worship services. Even work with a spiritual director, which turned out to be some of the best therapy I have ever done.

But this week I have come full circle again. Volver, as it were. And in the Big Book on Page 29 I read this: Each individual, in the personal stories, describes in his own language and from his own point of view, the way he established his relationship with God.

The Big Book and the program of recovery are not about how we stop drinking. It is about how we can establish a relationship with God. From there God may heal our addictions.

No comments: